Thursday, August 26, 2010

AFRICA!!!

Dear Blog Readers,


It is with great joy that I write this letter to you. While living in St. Louis these past sixteen months, the Lord has done nothing but pour blessings on me. I am entering my last year of school and in May I will earn my Social Work degree. He has given me the opportunity to work with middle school and high school girls in a broken community here in St. Louis. He has also blessed me with solid friendships and put me in a challenging yet encouraging bible study. I began going to this bible study this summer and the Lord has done great things through it. I have built relationships with women my age as well as godly older women. The bible study is through a Christian non-profit called Faith That Works which was founded by a wonderful woman Terri Stipanovich. Her vision for Christians is to put your faith in action. Her leading this Bible study is one way that Terri puts her faith into action. The organization's mission is to “minister to the needs of women; locally, nationally and around the world”. I have personally received care from Terri and many other older women she has brought on board.

The desires that the Lord has given me and the desires that Terri has for Faith That Works coincide. As a little girl the Lord gave me the desire to go to Africa and it has only increased since then. It is an understatement to say I have a desire to go to Africa. One way that Faith That Works minister's to women around the world is partnering with an organization called International Crisis Aid(ICA) to help fight the alarming growth of the sex trafficking industry. In March 2007, ICA opened our first home for young girls we rescued from a life of forced prostitution in the red light areas (some of the most poverty stricken areas) of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. We began with 6 girls, but now have 7 Safe Homes in Ethiopia. You can visit http://www.crisisaid.org/etprograms4.html). Faith That Works is taking a group of women to Addis Ababa, January 8-15, and with much desire and encouragement, I would be blessed to join Terri and other women to serve the in Red Light District and ICA in Ethiopia.

I am needing people to join me in putting our faith into works. I am needing my friends and family to join me both spiritually and financially. I am in great need of prayer as I prepare for this trip. My life is very busy and I want to be faithful in praying and fasting for this trip, so please be in prayer for spiritual disciplines in my life. Be in prayer for Faith That Works and Terri, ICA, Addis and their Safe Homes. Be in prayer that the Lord provides financially for me and others interested in going. In order to go on this trip, I am needing to raise $3,500 not including money I need to pay for vaccinations. My desire is to go above and beyond that price and my hope is that you will join me to raise money to build more Safe Homes for former prostitutes in Addis Ababa. These women and children truly need help, and the Bible commands it as our responsibility as believers to do something about their pain and suffering. He delights in our obedience and willingness to serve in missions.

If you are interested in financially supporting me please make your checks out to Faith That Works and in the memo put Mary Drummond. Mail all financial contributions to Faith That Works offices: 14 Ridgecreek Rd. St. Louis, MO 63141. All donations are tax deductible.

I pray for God's will and thank him for this awesome opportunity to serve and witness to a hurting world, and for your prays and financial support.

Mary Drummond

No comments:

Post a Comment